达利与超现实主义

Just after Sept. 11, I went to my favorite Washington, D.C., museum — The Phillips Collection — to look at still lifes.

9月11号刚过,我就去了自己在华盛顿最喜欢的一家博物馆—菲利普收藏馆,去看看那些有生命力的艺术品。

The one I remember best was a small oil by Édouard Manet, painted as he was dying.

我印象最深刻的是一幅爱道尔德.麦尼特的小油画,是在他临终前绘制的。

Peonies.

名字叫做牡丹。

So richly textured you could almost smell the flowers. (You can see them for yourself here.)

绘画是如此精细,你甚至可以闻到花香的感觉。(你也可以自己去那里看一看。)

The painting took me away from dark thoughts for a while.

这幅油画帮我暂时摆脱了阴郁的思绪。

Art helped me, as it always does, to get through a terrible time.

一直以来艺术都可以帮我度过那些困难的时期。

Now it's another terrible time, and museums are closed against a killer virus.

而如今的疫情又是一次困难时期,博物馆却被迫关闭来防止病毒传播。

But they're offering beauty, strength and fascinations on their websites.

不过,在他们的网站上仍然提供着美丽,力量和迷人的魅力。

I'll flag some online exhibits for you to enjoy whenever you need a break from worrying.

接下来我会给你介绍一些在线展览的艺术品来帮助你暂时摆脱烦恼。

We'll start with an art-based word that pops up every day in these topsy-turvy times: surreal.

首先让我们从最近这种乱糟糟的世道里经常出现的一个词说起,超现实。

It was coined by French poet Guillaume Apollinaire who described life after World War I as "totally new, lyrical, human, joyful, and ... surreal."

这个词是由法国诗人格拉姆.阿波利奈尔在一首描述一战后的生活的诗里首创的,他写道,“这是一个全新的,如歌的,充满人文关怀的,欢乐而超现实的世界。”

But we're using it now for life as weird.

Unsettling.

但如今我们却用这个词来形容那些奇异的反常的生活。

In art, a prime surreal example is at the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan.

在艺术界,超现实主义的一个最典型例子,位于曼哈顿的现代艺术博物馆。

It's Salvador Dalí's most famous painting, The Persistence of Memory.

他就是萨尔瓦多·达利最出名的油画,记忆的永恒。

The surprisingly small picture is full of clocks you cannot count on.

这幅令人震惊的小油画上充满了奇异的时钟。

They melt down from a scrawny tree limb, pour off the side of a table, drape over what's thought to be a self-portrait but looks like a weird sea creature.

它们要么融化了挂在树杈上,要么从桌边流下来,要么搭在一个据说是自画像,但看起来有点像奇特的海洋生物的东西上。

Legend has it that while Dalí's wife, Gala, (really? Gala Dalí?!) was at the movies, Salvador's eyes fixed on some Camembert cheese that just happened to be around.

传闻中说,当达力的太太加拉去拍电影的时候,萨尔瓦多的眼睛一直盯着一些刚好放在旁边的卡姆伯特奶酪。

Hours passed.

几个小时过去了。

The cheese began to melt off the plate.

盘子里的奶酪开始融化了。

"And he thought, 'Voilà!' " says Hank Hine, executive director of the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla. He'd found his inspiration.

“这时他想到,'对了!'”汉克海因说道,他是位于弗罗里达州的圣彼得堡市的萨尔瓦多达利博物馆的执行主管。达利终于找到了灵感。

Learning the pandemic would close the place down, Hine found inspiration for his museum.

听说疫情会关闭博物馆之后,海因也为自己的博物馆找到了办法。

Its website reports on some 2,000 Dalí oils, watercolors, prints and photographs in the collection.

在他们的网站上的展出里放了2000多幅达利油画,水彩画,版画和照片。

But the closure prompted new thinking.

而博物馆的关闭给他带来了新的思考。

Hine had a video put together to show the museum's current exhibition, "Midnight in Paris: Surrealism at the Crossroads, 1929."

海因制作了一则视频,用来展示博物馆的最新展览“午夜巴黎:位于十字路口的超现实主义,1929。”

That's two years before Dalí started melting his clocks, a period when artists were searching for new visions.

这是在这个时间节点的两年之后,达利开始绘画他的融化的时钟,同时艺术家们开始寻找新的视觉呈现。

The video is a wonderful tour of that City of Light.

这段视频带人们领略了这座光之城的魅力。

Plus, that word we keep using now, in our locked-down lives.

以及那个,在封闭隔离的生活中,我们至今都在使用的词汇。

Our days have become surreal — confusing, scary, depressing sometimes.

我们的日子也变得有点超现实了,有时会令人困惑,恐惧和压抑。

It's upside down, we say.

我们会说生活仿佛颠倒了。

Dalí's world was like that, too.

当时达利的世界也是这样的。

What he and his artist pals created were rejections of the old ways, in a search for something new.

他和他当时的艺术同人们所创造的是用一些旧的方式去寻找新的突破。

A bit of that is going on for us, too.

我们如今也在做这样的事情。

The Salvador Dalí Museum will get you to think, make you smile, and, yes, make you wish you were in Paris right now.

萨尔瓦多·达利博物馆会让你思考微笑没错,同时也会让你希望自己能去巴黎看看。

The museum plans to reopen July 1.

这座博物馆计划于7月1号重新开放。

问题

文中提到达利属于什么流派?

留言回复正确答案,前10名朋友可以获得红包奖励哦,赶快来试试吧。

【END】

感谢关注

跟amber一起看世界

(0)

相关推荐